THE SOCIAL PERSPECTIVE AGAINST CHILD ABUSE AND CHILDREN’S MURDER AND SOLUTION OFFERSUMHD İskender
As the 5 separate Non-Governmental Organisations under the leadership of the Yetim Vakfı
(Orphan Foundation), we shared the social perpective against child abuse and chilren’s murder and solution offers with the public. We start hearing more often in the news media in the world and Turkey about the child abuse and juvenile delinquency shows that reach a serious problem. This process reveals the need to take quick and more effective measures. This process deepens the conscience and turns into a social reaction. We have gathered together under the leadership of the Yetim Vakfı (Orphan Foundation) and shared our Social Perspective and Solutions for Child Abuse and Murder as a result of joint work with Humanitarian Relief Foundation(IHH) , International Doctors Association (AID), International Refugee Rights Association (UMHD) and International Social Service Platform.
Hüsamettin Orhan, Vice Chairman of the Yetim Vakfı (Orphan Foundation) made the joint statement. Hüsamettin Orhan, who started his speech by wishing patience for the painful families and nation of our children who lost his life, underlined that preventive measures should be taken as soon as possible.
Due to the aforementioned table, Orhan said, “ From the recent events in the world and in our country, it is obvious that our children are at a serious risk. Because of the special circumstances in our children, our orphan children are even more vulnerable to this risk. In order to prevent this danger and to prevent these incidents from deeply hurting our nation, we urge the NGOs, the press and media organizations, the relevant bodies of our state and the entire society to act urgently on the above mentioned suggestions.” He listed below the solution offers:
1- Issues to be exercised by the State:
– A psychosocial risk map of all segments of the society is mandatory. As a result of these tests, preventive and protecctive social service methods should be put into operation.
– As a family physician who is interested in every family, having a social worker as well as school, hospital and so on. creation of social services employing social workers
– Taking the opinion of the non-governmental organizations in the regulation and implementation of the laws, taking the initiatives in the Ministry of Justice, examining the precedent applications in the world in the struggle against such crimes within the framework of the principle of the deterrence of the punishments and making the legal arrangements by taking into consideration the social texture
– Widespread and effective implementation of values and privacy education
– Awareness-raising activities and consciousness-raising activities for the society
– Increasing safety measures in areas where children are heavily occupied and equipped with camera systems
2- Families will pay attention to:
– Parents should follow their children with a conscious eye and contact with the related institutions and organizations without any time of doubt.
– Children are not left alone by families without providing the necessary security measures in living areas outside the home
3- Press and media issues:
– In order to stop the erosion of values, the media organizations should quickly prevent uncontrollable sharing of events, including news and various other programs, which will create insensitivity in society and destroy sensitivity.
– Individual shares in the name of sensitivity in the social media, the society in question to take over the events in time, the real reactions are decreasing and replaced by virtual responses. In addition, the conscience of the family and the society in particular is undermined by ignoring the privacy of the shared. In this context, activities to raise public awareness about social media use and its effects
– Child abuse through social media, objective evaluation of the opinions about events without regard to religion, language, race, ideology, culture, etc.
– paying attention not to bring the victim and the perpetrator’s pictures side-by-side in all communication channels
4- Issues to be paid by NGOs:
– Taking an active role in awareness raising activities
– A faster response to the representation of society conscience
– To be able to manifest justice and to follow closely the measures to be taken “Olaylar yaşanmadan önce”
Neslihan Önder, the representative of the International Refugee Rights Association, who later took the floor, said that the NGOs should put their hands under the stone and even remove the stone if necessary. Önder added: “After the events occurred rather than demanding a fair trial preventive measures should be taken without incidents.”
“Responsibility for medical schools and hospitals”
“There is responsibility for medical schools and hospitals” said AID Member of Board Prof. Dr. Hasan Koçoğlu and added:
“Child abuse is not just sexual abuse. We all know that there is a violence especially for children from mothers and fathers. What we’re talking about here is a matter of morality. More precisely, it is a matter of immorality. We see that the morality in our society reflects itself in every aspect of life. We are all aware of the problem and we have to take measures. While I am taking care of health, I want to say that once in medicine faculties this issue should be read. Especially in the universities we need to take the issue of pedophilia. In addition, relevant units can be opened in our hospitals. Families can be channeled to these units without these incidents and these events can be prevented by some clues..”
“An ember burns where it falls”
Fatih Kılıçarslan, the representative of the International Social Service Platform, explains:
“An ember burns where it falls. We can’t understand the pain of those families. We gathered here to make our children who are alive a little bit more to have a better future, at least we can create an awareness. We are here to be a part of the solution in order to cooperate in the solution of the problems. Our country is in a serious transformation. Therefore, we are not used to innovations. The reason for many problems here is actually. We have to produce new solutions to our new problems. At this point, the establishment of professional teams is of great importance.”
“These kids are all our children.”
Reşat Başer, the member of IHH Board of Directors, made the final announcement. Başer, said:
“Neither our daughter Eylül nor our daughter Leyla are the first victims of this incident. Unfortunately, they won’t be the last victims. As Humanitarian Relief Foundation (IHH), we are trying to protect 15 thousand 500 orphan children. However, we think that much more effective and big organizations should be done in this area. It is important to note that these children are all our children. Although their families are more influenced by us, the trauma in the community causes serious injuries. We all have duties to prevent this”
The press release ended after the comments.